Tuesday 15 April 2008

barcelona baby!!

I LOVE BARCELONA.
wow, this place is ridiculous. i have been having such an amazing time here and ive only been here one day!! i dont want to leave! its not just the touristy things that are cool, its just the whole city in general. the people are all so nice (well, except the pick-pocketers but i havent run into any of them yet) and the place is just beautiful!

i started off my day with a wonderful breakfast at my hostel...seriously this place is more like a hotel than a hostel (well, except for the 11 other people jammed in the same room as me).
then i stepped outside into the beaming sun, whipped out my sunglasses, and began my journeys with the biggest smile on my face. i began to head in the direction of the coast and just see what i would stumbled upon. sure enough, i found a huge hill. so naturally i started to climb. i reached the top (very hot and sweaty by the way) and was greeted to a glorious view of barcelona. this is the precise moment that i fell in love with this city. it was spectacular.

i then began my descent and continued on to the coast. on an imulse decision, i decided to jump on a boat tour which takes you along the coast of barcelona. GORGEOUS. i stepped on, grabbed myself a barcelonian 'beeresco' ( i dont really know if thats what it is...im just guessing), sat out in the sun and let the wind blow my hair as i sailed along the coast of barcelona...then i realized that it was only 1100 in the morning and maybe a little too early for a beer? oh well, im on vacation so its okay! ah, satisfying.

the relaxing was over as i grabbed a cup of coffee for energy and began to hit up the touristy places. the first thing that struck me as i began to walk, was the gorgeous buildings. i wish i could post pics to show, but its not working. so you will just have to trust me that the architecture and design of their buildings is unlike anything else. seriously, i want to live here :)

i walked up to the 'Museu Nacional D'art' and my breath was taken away. there is no way i can even begin to describe this to you. wow. after climbing a kazillion stairs (it seems that no matte what you want to see, you always have to climb up to see it) i sat on the steps of the museum looking out over the city as i was seranaded by a man playing spanish music. wonderful.

i continued on my way to the 'Teatre Grec' (i saw a bunch of stuff on the way but these are just the highlights of my day). this was incredible. thank you amanda wrigley for teaching me about greek drama which made me appreciate this so much more. i just sat there, in an ancient greek theatre, for probably 15 minutes just taking in the whole experience. i could almost see oedipus rex being peformed....

then it was off to the 'Estadi Olimpic' from the '92 olympics (correct me if im wrong...). this was really really cool. and of course i managed to find the 'camp de baisbol' - call me a nerd but i had the biggest smile on my face when i managed to find the actual olympic baseball stadium. way to neat.

i wandered around for a bit more but eventually had to call it quits. i hobbled back to the hostel (im telling you, there is a ridiculous amount of stairs!) and now im sending a few emails and will head to bed soon. tomorrow - its the beach!! cant wait!!!

did i mention how much i absolutely love barcelona?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOWWWWeeeee!!!!!

oh my goodness i want to be there with you sooo bad!! I am so glad to hear that your breath has been taken away, and i am thrilled to know htat you are on a beach today! YAY!!!\
I love love love you sharebear!
write again soon!
*bee xo

sharon said...

bee!!! im glad you made it home safe and thanks so much for checking out my blog! i love you!!!!!!!! and miss you already!

Anonymous said...

great blog!!!! i read all the way through...its ur student kathryn

Sharon said...

Haha! Aw, thanks Kathryn! Hope you are having a wonderful summer.